Postage Stamps
alternative energy sources & energy conservation
I chose this topic because..
- It is design-centric
- It is research oriented
To learn..
- It is a challenge to design a stamp
- My first project which I dictate the path of
- I will realize my strengths and limitations as a designer
- Will brush my research as well as design skills
My first step was to read and re-read the brief and highlight everything I would need to focus on and keep reminding myself of.
Then came the research bit. I decided it would be good to do research on the history of stamps, how they came into existence, process of printing and the rationale behind designing stamps.
Next would be a brief research on alternative energy sources and their conservation.
While the above research takes place, ideas would already start forming in my head as to what the problem is, what I need to design to reach the ideal design solution.
So far I've noted that..
Then came the research bit. I decided it would be good to do research on the history of stamps, how they came into existence, process of printing and the rationale behind designing stamps.
Next would be a brief research on alternative energy sources and their conservation.
While the above research takes place, ideas would already start forming in my head as to what the problem is, what I need to design to reach the ideal design solution.
So far I've noted that..
- The design should convey and immediate message
- Should use interesting colour
- Be sustainable in their execution/printing
- Be classy
- Look like they have been designed
Deadlines so far..
- Research and primary ideation 9/11
- Design and proof 23/11
- Final output 29/11
Reading and looking at..
- Royal Mail Stamps by Stuart Rose
- An illustrated history of stamp design by William Finlay
- www.royalmail.com
- www.ukphilately.org.uk
- www.stampprinters.info
1978 Energy Issues
*Rose, Stuart; Royal Mail Stamps: a survey of British Stamp Design; Phaidon Press Limited, 1980; p16
- The design is very simple
- The Queens head is subtle yet visible and does not interfere with the design
- The design becomes easy to understand with the label below. But also it could be argued that the design should be powerful enough to convey its meaning without the help of text
- Colours are too flat and plain for my aesthetic eye
- The font of the value could be a bit more interesting
No comments:
Post a Comment