Monday, 27 October 2008

RSA: Links & how I conserve..

Links everyone must visit:
  1. Recycle symbols - www.testvalley.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=5881
  2. DIY planet repairs - www.london.gov.uk/diy/index.jsp (taken from Natalia's blog)
  3. Plastic Bags - www.plasticbag.org.uk

I thought after reading the brief that combining these two issues - alternative energy resources & energy conservation would be possible after sufficient research. But as I read along, maybe I need to focus on one of the two subjects as trying to show both through the design would be far from ideal.

While both the topics go hand in hand, and anyone aware about energy consumption would also be aware about using alternate sources and vice-versa.

Thus if I try to attempt to tackle the issue at a more local and human level it might have more effect.

Still under process of taking the decision. By next week I should have reached one.

Natalia's idea of the pink dot is fantastic. I am going to put up green ones around my flat and in my kitchen so my flatmates are aware of the reminders as well.


Reminders to:
1. Keep switches off when not in use
2. Only boil as much water as needed in the kettle
3. Turn the hob off when not in use
4. Turn the oven off when not in use
5. Don't waste water while washing the dishes

I realized after taking the DIY Living test that I don't waste energy except when I leave my mobile on charge overnight (which I have stopped from now).


Here's how I conserve:
1. Put my tap off while brushing my teeth
2. Keep my lights switched off when I'm not in the room
3. Whenever I go into the kitchen and any appliance is not in use I turn off their switch
4. I try taking shorter showers and keep it off when using soap
5. I wash at 30º in the laundry and 40º very rarely
6. I take my own bag when going grocery shopping to avoid using plastic
7. Avoid using plastic bags from shops for small items (gum, sticky notes, scarves, etc.)
8. Use newspaper and water to clean my mirrors instead of buying cleaning agents
9. Only boil as much water as I need
10. Always store whatever plastic bags I have so they can be re-used


Everyone should make a list of how they conserve. These are very small changes and anyone can easily make them in their daily life, and soon they become a habit.

You feel like a much better human being as you are not contributing to the waste in the world. You're helping conserve your resources.

IT'S THE LITTLE THINGS THAT MAKE THE BIG DIFFERENCE.

1 comment:

NATKA said...

I am glad you like it! So far my pink dot works how about yours? See you tomorrow!