Saturday, 15 November 2008

Alan Aldridge @ the Design Museum

I did a little research on Alan Aldridge before I went to exhibition.. the resources and images I found online did not do justice to what I witnessed. Nor do they do justice to the brilliance he is capable of.

The space left me mesmerized.

Talented, gifted and extremely intelligent - Alan Aldridge is my new idol and I am in complete awe of him.

I don't like all his works obviously. But I love his unique sense of style, his attention to detail (and how!), his colours, his fantastic graphic cartoons, his process.. the list is endless. We're lucky to see a man of this calibre in our lifetime.

The space was done up exactly to suit his style of work.. larger than life and filled with colour.. it was cluttered yet had its own sense of style.

As he himself stated in an interview that this space showed only a fraction of what he is capable of..

We can map his growth by looking at his sketches.. when you thought he was really good.. the next one just showed him even better. And this never stopped!

What makes him so special is his unique style of working no matter which project he works on. You can easily identify a piece of work done by him.. (obviously if you've seen enough of it)

Although his style is the same everywhere - his work is full of variety. There's album covers, cartoons, fantasy creatures, children's book cover, music videos, psychedelic.. To be able to incorporate his style so effortlessly in each category is truly a brilliant mind.

Every time you look at his work.. you see something absolutely new.

His work is magnetic.. you can't not be pulled in.

Some that I like:










Incubus - Dig (Illustrated by Alan Aldridge)

1 comment:

Honadesign@yahoo.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.