Saturday, 21 March 2009

taskEIGHT: ten things I learnt

1. Green-ness
Global warming isn't a buzz word for me anymore. I know what it means, and I know what I can do about it. Being a designer gives me the power to affect change. And if I choose to do (which I already I am) I would have made my contribution to nature's protection. As I always believe, it's the little things that make a difference. Every step counts.

2. Isolating
Yes we are all community and feedback is critical for any kind of personal or professional development. I love and crave feedback. But when it comes to designing, I work best when I have that feedback, sit on the drawing board and interpret it for what my instincts say would be the best solution. I don't like doing what others think looks good or works well. I like doing what I think looks fabulous. So unless someone gives me critical feedback AFTER they have really looked at my work. I will listen. Or I'm just going to pretend to listen.

3. Effortless right
For some people designing comes naturally. Whereas for others, we have the talent, they just need to be honed. The best designs I have made have come effortlessly, when I didn't go crazy over the brief or had a panic attack the night before. And most often I fail to see that.

4. Lucky me
I am lucky to be surrounded by such an immensely talented pool of designers around me who in their own special way have tremendously influenced me - and not just in design terms. In these last six months I have learnt more than I did in three years in college.

5. Type-a-holic
Typography is by far the most fascinating aspect of design. And I've only just begun to explore. The scope just 26 alphabets have is infinite. It's even more fascinating than watching a juggler juggle 5 balls!

6. Push and shove
I need to be pushed to the limit. I need to be pressurized to stay up surviving on unreasonable amounts of caffeine and working. I work best under pressure. That's when I produce my best work (apart from the few effortless rare moments).

7. Instinct-ally
Every time you have a question that you think you don't know the answer to. Trust your instinct. It is right, every single time. And it ALWAYS has an answer. If in doubt, close your eyes, then open and ask the question again. You will have an answer. And this doesn't only mean life, etc. it means your designing too!

8. Coffee-not-so-nated
The sleepless nights resulted in sleepy days which forced me to drink that brown drink in the cafeteria. The coffee in the cafeteria is downright awful. They should just stop serving it. My attempt to like it was to add an extra shot of espresso. It still tasted disgusting. Hence I can safely come to the conclusion, that the coffee I make is the best for me. It is fabulous and delicious and undescribeable. And of course there is Costa when I'm lazy.

9. Ani-patient-ated
I envy those who use flash and can animate. I have tried and failed several times. The work is just mediocre. I have no patience for it. It's just not my thing. It is an art to be able to animate and use motion graphics. I'm downright jealous.

10. Creditry
We are all capable of much more than we give ourselves credit for. Try it a hundred times (with or without hair-pulling frustration). The hundredth time you will know how good you are. And without that confidence you cannot be a successful person, let alone a graphic designer.

No comments: